Types of Accomodation
In India variety of accommodations are available for short,
long duration stay as well as luxury stay depending on the
needs. The variety ranges from youth hostels with dormitory
accommodation to top class five star hotels. Following are
the types of accommodation available in India and offers a
wide range of choice. One can select a type of accommodation
based on the duration of stay and luxury or facilities required.
& Breakfast type accommodation
- A Bed and Breakfast (B&B) is a private home in
which guests can be accommodated at night in private bedrooms
(which may or may not have private bathrooms based on the
- The owner or manager lives in the house or on the
property. The public areas of the house, such as kitchen and
lounge have either limited access for guests
- The business may be run as a secondary occupation.
- Breakfast is included in the price (generally either
continental or Indian). Other meals may be available by arrangement.
- A guesthouse is generally a private home which has
been converted for the dedicated and exclusive use of guest
- The public areas of the establishment are for the
exclusive use of the guests. The owner or manager/care taker
either lives off-site, or in an entirely separate area within
- A Guesthouse offers a wider range of services than
a B&B, and usually caters for all meals with a dining
hall and have basic facilities such as television and heating
and cooling gadgets.
- A hotel is generally the largest of all accommodation
- There is typically a common reception area, and rooms
generally open directly onto a hallway.
- The on-site restaurant and other facilities are more
accessible to the public than the other accommodation types.
- A wide range of guest services is available, such
as room service, bar etc.
- Hotels are often members of larger hotel groups, and
a similar accommodation experience may be available in different
establishments within the group.
Luxury hotels come in
several categories in India, such as the super deluxe, deluxe,
five star, four star and three star, depending on the facilities
they offer. These hotels are generally limited to the major
tourist centers and the metro cities.
The Taj Group has the finest hotels in India followed by
the Welcome group (affiliated with Sheraton), the Oberoi,
Ritz, Casino and the Air India linked Centaur Hotels. In addition
to these, the ITDC group run Ashok Hotels can be found practically
in every town of India especially in places of special interest.
In Rajasthan, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh and many other places
all over India the forts and palaces of the erstwhile kings
have been converted into heritage hotels. If one want experience
the royal Indian treatment, can try these out.
The most expensive hotels in India follow the noon checkout
system. Generally the state governments impose a variety of
taxes on accommodation and services on all the top line hotels
and restaurants. It might be levied on food, room service,
use of telephones or chalked up to your total bill.
suitable and preferred by backpackers, budget hotels in India
are dirt-cheap. These hotels quick to raise their prices according
to the demand and supply ratio. Many of these hotels operate
on a 24-hour system –check out the following day at
the same time as you signed in
- A lodge is an accommodation facility which is located
and designed to optimize the feeling of being closely in touch
- The building style should feature natural materials
and coloring such as wood, stone and thatch.
- An outdoor experience should be offered at the lodge,
such as guided walks, game drives etc.
- Suitable for longer stay
- Some of them offers common toilet and bathroom
- Most of them do not have any dining facility and offers
only tea/coffee or snacks
- A spread out collection of single or double story
- Similar to a hotel in that it offers a wide range
- Units may be rented and available on time-share.
- A camping area may be included in the resort.
- Normally located far away from mainland and provides
- Provides natural environment near sea beech, hill
The greatest way to know India is to stay with an Indian
family; it can quite an eye opener for tourists. Such home
stay accommodations are organized in Rajasthan, Ladakh, Chennai
and Mumbai in alliance with the Tourism Development Corporations
of the respective states. The tourist offices of the cities
have the exhaustive list of the families offering this service.
Uniwolrd is affiliated with all types of accommodation
and facilitates a comfortable stay for its guests. The types
accommodation will be finalized depending on the duration
of stay, facilities required, budget and location.